Friday, January 8, 2010

What Cool Looks Like


How do they know what's cool?  At one time this was cool...

 
(Actually, he's always cool.)




And then, everybody thought this was cool.




Didn't Footloose come next?





Or was it Valleygirl?




  And this was very cool.  I wore my jeans like that.



  But today, this is cool.  


And this is how they interpret it:

The coolest guys wear silver beads.  Don't ask me how they know.

Never mind these beads were last worn in 1984 in a long knotted style over a sweater with raglan sleeves.



Cool guys squint when they look at you.


And make meaningful hand signs.

Only their moms know that they have no idea what the hand signs mean.
Only their moms know that their beaded gold necklace was bought in the late 80's to go with a Christmas outfit.  Monet.


Cool guys still have to do their school work.


And this is what happens when their mom says, "Look at the camera."


They may look cool.  But it lacks true conviction.  Underneath is just a bunch of munchable sweetness.


Anyone with a puppy on their hat has to have some vulnerability in there somewhere.

1 comments:

4HMom said...

So darling. I don't want them to EVER really care too much what cool looks like. Or, maybe I want them to be SOOOOO cool that they LOOK like they don't care. Vanity, vanity, I'm all vanity!

"Shemular" - What my husband tells the lady at the department store counter is my favorite perfume, when he is asking her for help to buy me a gift -- "Oh, she likes Shemular, er, or, yeah. Shemular."