Wednesday, July 8, 2009

She'll Never Know...

It was raining buckets on our heads. I was waddling through Washington D.C., hugely pregnant, and there was nothing to do but continue to slosh along, soaking wet until we reached the car blocks away. As we stood on the street corner waiting for the light to change, a long sedan slowed down, the window opened, and a smartly tailored suit arm handed an umbrella out to us. I never even saw the man's face. The car just drove away. I'll never forget that, I wish I could thank that man. It was a really nice umbrella too!
Today something similar happened.
The kids and I visited the mall for a fun, free outing. It was a looking trip, not a shopping trip. We sat on a bench just outside the ice cream shop and we were all wishing we had enough money to afford Lara Secord ice cream. I felt a tap on my shoulder and a nice old lady said, "Excuse me, my sister was admiring your children, how well behaved they are." She gestured down the walkway and I could just make out another nice old lady waving at us. She continued, "She just wanted to give you this," and then she handed me a twenty dollar bill! We all gasped in excitement and thankfulness. We waved and blew kisses to the sister and exclaimed over what she'd done. We stopped and thanked God right then and there as the old lady walked away. And then we went right into that ice cream store and bought a round of cones.

I am always telling the kids that bible verse, "Obey your father and mother and it will go well with you."


This was a great living example of that verse.


We were all so excited to see such a tangible example of God's care for us.



We prayed that God would bless that little old lady.
"Here's to you!"
She'll never know how much it meant.

3 comments:

H said...

So cool! So cool!

Darlene said...

That was directly from God's hand to you through a stranger- evidence of His love, and of His knowing all things, like how much you were wanting ice cream.

Betsy said...

I'm crying.