Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What Trish Did...


I saw these dishes at a second hand store. Have you ever been instantly transported back in time when you've smelled a certain aroma or heard a certain song? These dishes reminded me of some special pottery we had when I was a kid.
.

At first glance, they looked like all the other heavy crockery with specks in it. Common tableware. But then I picked them up and saw "England".
They felt special when you touched them, a different weight in your hand. Not clunky at all. I ended up getting some plates and cups just to be transported back to my childhood.
.

When I researched the maker I found out that Meakin was a fine china house. Quality stuff. In later years they came out with a line of everyday ware. Kind of like Gucci making jeans.
I know nothing about dishes. But I know I'd like to find the whole line of these somewhere.
This brings me to my friend Trish. She goes to second hand stores because she is wise. I do not because I think I'm too busy. Unbeknownst to me, she was keeping her eyes open.
.

And she found all this plus 15 more cups and saucers--- for five dollars.
$5!!!!
It was a really fun surprise. Especially after I checked Ebay and found a set going for $160.
I wish everybody had a Trish.

3 comments:

Angela said...

I totally agree!!

Betsy said...

Great find!
Nothing like the thrill of the hunt for hidden treasures! I still love it. I'm having a garage sale tomorrow. I hope someone will love and take care of my treasures that I'm ready to part with.

Still Enjoying the Journey said...

Me too! I want a Trish ... but then i also wanted a Missy and look what God found me ... A MISSY! And she has a Trish ... it's two for the price of one! YAY God! :0) ~A