Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pregnant Haiti

Lately, we've had a lot of friends and family members who are either pregnant or who have new babies.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when around the lunch table today I said:  "Guys, we need to pray for Haiti" and the kids responded thus--
1st Child:  Who is she?
2nd Child:  Is she pregnant?
You might say that, pregnant with a world of woes.

Since we don't get broadcast television, our news comes via the internet.  I showed them some images and explained what was going on there.  We prayed for the people trapped, for the rescue teams to arrive quickly with the heavy equipment.  We prayed for protection from the thieves and gangs, and lastly we prayed for any little lost children, that someone would scoop them up and comfort them.  Which is what I would want to do, lead a task force for scooping up little wee ones, up and down every last street.

I am afraid for Haiti because of the lack of infrastructure.  I am afraid because of the corruption. But then I remember that God is an advocate for the poor, and He can act in spite of governments.  Indeed, they are but chaff in the wind. (Isaiah 40).

As far as the momentary Geography lapse, 1st child redeemed herself by showing me which tectonic plate Haiti was located on and explaining why the earthquake occurred.  And 2nd child? Well, when your name arsenal includes the likes of Ogo, Rolo, and Niproke-- Haiti for a girl's name is not that far of a stretch.

That whole conversation gave me a lasting mental image of a pregnant Haiti.  Pregnancy by its very nature doesn't last forever.  There is a culmination.  Maybe Haiti will give birth to a better future.  We are praying so!

4 comments:

4HMom said...

whoa! that was DEFINITELY a syndicated-columnist's piece. Amazingly delicate and sensitive use of humor about a deadly serious subject. And your talent for seeing the "post" in the daily conversations of your kids is incredible!

hylytylr said...

What she said. Love your writing.

And thank you for the reminder to pray for Haiti.

Cherie said...

Thank you.
I LOVE your sweet family.

We are praying.

Missy said...

Yay, Cherie's back, we've missed you!