Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Snowface


He said he was making a face.  A snowface.  I guess a whole snowman was just too daunting.
"I need sumping for dee eyes."  he said.
"How about carrots?"  I suggested and went about chopping off eye rounds. 
He watched with interest then added, "and teef, but it has to be pointy, like dis..." pointy hand gestures  "Yeah, yeah, like dat!"  He was amazed that I could cut a carrot into a pointed shape, exactly like what was needed for snowface teeth.
"And don't you need a nose?"  I asked.
"Yes, but it has to be..."  he just watched as I expertly chopped off the right shape for a nose.
 Unfortunately, the picture above is only of the snowface after Daisy got to it. The last vestiges of what once was a good idea.  Daisy likes carrots.

This is what we do, and aren't we lucky? Chopping carrots for a snowface, and there's nothing I'd rather be doing. Motherhood provides it's fair share of opportunities to grumble,to feel overwhelmed and practically drowning in piles, but in it's best moments there's something else. It's the knowing-that-it-won't-last-forever that hangs about your children like a snowy veil, so fragile, so..meltable.

The next time we stop at the border and they ask what my occupation is I might just lean across Todd, look that border agent right in the eye and say, "I chop carrot teeth.  And I'm really, really, lucky to get the job".

0 comments: