Sunday, January 31, 2010

Do You Need to Breathe to Make Chocolate Cupcakes?

I was too sick to go to church, but I discovered I had enough energy to make these:




They are from a recipe by Pioneer Woman.  It called for ganache.   I am afraid of ganache because it sounds hard to make.  When I looked at the recipe it was super easy, easier than making chocolate frosting.  But Chocolate Frosting is a familiar term, something you'd talk about over the back fence with your neighbor--"so for the cake walk she won a sheet cake, with chocolate frosting".  But if you put the word ganache in there, at least when you're from Kansas, I think they'd just blink and ask you about fertilizer or something.

So the Pioneer Woman's recipe looked a lot better than these, but I like the chaos of these poor little cupcakes.  I'd choose the little guy tipped over sideways.

 
You're supposed to put in Hershey's Kisses, but I put in these little babies.  Mini Rolos. Three in each cupcake.  And for the record-- ganache should really be called: don't-be-afraid-to-make-this-it's-better-than-chocolate-frosting-when-you-want-something-dense-but-not-as-sweet.

And then, so the morning wouldn't be a total treat-fest, I started this chicken stock.  By the time the family came home from church, I had Chinese Chicken Salad from the meat off the bones in this pot, and the rest of it will cook for 24 hours.
This is in a pot made in China.
I hope I don't find out when I'm 87 that chicken stock cooked for 24 hours in a pot made in China causes Alzheimer's.
Does anyone else have thoughts like these?
Is anyone else afraid of ganache?

4 comments:

H said...

I always consider things like stock simmered for 24 hours in a China pot as maybe not being safe. But what can you do?

Betsy said...

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger?

Seems anything and everything can kill us, but thanks be to God, NOT until HIS day in HIS book says so!

I have never simmered stock for 24 hours! Bet it is yumrific! Get the marrow in those bones, Missy!

4HMom said...

forwarded this to our friend, R. It is so cute. loved "chaos" LLLLL.

Melissa said...

I don't know about being afraid of ganache...but when I saw the pics of those cupcakes my tummy started to rumble...i think they look DELICIOUS!!! I bet your kids thought so too.. :-)