Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The First Question this Morning.....

It was my fault, I slept in. The older kids and I had stayed up late to have a special movie night. But not the younger kids, and there's the rub. The younger kids got a full, invigorating, night's sleep. So, my first conscious moment was the pad-padding of little feet coming towards the bed. And then the urgent whispered plea--
"Can I buy a 4-wheeler?"

Dealing with Sawyer requires a fully awake mind. In order to respond to questions like this you have to be able to, well, think. A mind with no cobwebs would have said--
"Sawyer, go wait in the kitchen, Mommy's coming to make breakfast." But a mind in blankets plays ping-pong with endless returns-

"Can I buy a 4-wheeler? Can I, can I, pleeeeeeeeeease?"

"I don't know--what?" (brilliant return)

"Can I buy a 4 wheeler?"

"You have to get good at your bike first."

"I did, yesterday! Can I buy a 4-wheeler?"

"Four wheelers are for teenagers." (Now, you referee's have pity, remember, I was handicapped).

"When I'm big like Greyson can I? How old is Greyson?"

"Eleven."

"Twelve?"

"No. Eleven." (Why is this even relevant? What time is it?)

"Can kids drive cars?"

"No." (that was an easy one)

"Can I buy a motorcycle?"

"No. Go to the kitchen."
Shuffling away
(okay, exactly how many seconds can I lay here before I really, really, have to face the day that's started out like this?)

Shuffling back--
"When I'm big like Daddy can I buy a 4 wheeler?"
"YES."

I think this round would be called in favor of the 5 year old, don't you?

0 comments: