Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's In There Somewhere....

Greyson came to see me at bedtime, to recount the day he had at a birthday party:

"We went to McDonald's, and everybody had fries and rootbeer, and I got a Big Mac, but I forget what's on it...


"Two-all-beef-patties-special-sauce-lettuce-cheese-pickles-onions-on-a-sesame-seed-bun" I recited by rote. Without even being able to stop myself and before I even knew I was speaking.
He just looked at me. To tell the truth, I was a little scared.

"No, mine didn't have pickles or onions," he said in open doubt.

"It had to have two-all-beef-patties-special-sauce-lettuce-cheese-pickles-onions-on-a-sesame-seed-bun," I rejoined.
Small pause.

"Well, it might've had onions, but I don't remember pickles." he said.

"No, two-all-beef-patties-special-sauce-lettuce-cheese-pickles-onions-on-a-sesame-seed-bun," I maintained. I was a robot.

Did you know that scientist theorize that everything we hear stays in our brains forever? It's only a matter of being able to retrieve it.
I believe them.

4 comments:

Jan Mader said...

I was blog walking today, and your site caught my eye. I'm a children's author and new (one month) to blogging.

My blog is especially for parents, teachers, and writers. Please come visit!

Cherie said...

So, what's on a Quarter Pounder?

(Don't you miss In 'N Out???)

Missy said...

YES!

cynthia said...

there was another commerical in the early 80s that was kind of a sedate "rap" and it went like this: big mac, filet o' fish, quarter pounder, french fries. icy coke, thick shake, sunDAES, and apple pies." my sister and i used to roller skate back and forth in our drive way and chant that commercial, because there was a paint stain (a perfect stamp of the bottom of a car tire) at the top of the driveway that looked just like a big mac. hm... some things can get BURNED into your memory!!! ;p