Monday, March 1, 2010

Spring Break!

Aw, the glories of spring!  Behold, the crocus, the sunny daffodil, each heralding the coming of a new season.
Or, if you live here, soggy snow with more to come, burying any hope beneath it.
I went to the clinic today, to get help for my big toe.  I dropped a barbell on it.  Which was ironic because I had just been thinking "If I leave this barbell on the floor it would really hurt if I stubbed my toe on it.  I better put it up here on the table."  It wasn't on the table long before it was knocked off and landed with a bang squarely on my big toe. 
It only took an hour at the clinic for them to tell me to come back at 12:30 and then, maybe then, if the doctor was in a good humor, they might condescend to tend to pesky people who drop barbells on their toes.
But this post isn't about that. It's about what I found when I came home.
It was a heartening sight.  They had been doing schoolwork instead of running wild. McKenna said, "Mom!  I found out the most exciting thing in my science book!"  And then proceeded to explain to me that gravity wasn't really a force at all, but space, bending.  Did you know that time and space bend?  Or so theorizes Albert Einstein.
Then it was Tristan's turn. He asked, "Mom, what's 'lad'?"
Oh, I thought, he's reading those quaint readers from the old days where they use phrases like lad and lass.
"It means a boy."  I informed him proudly.
"Oh, because on Spongebob, Mr. Crabs is always calling him 'lad'".
We hit both ends of the spectrum today.  It's 12:11, time to back to the clinic and hope they will see me.

1 comments:

Betsy said...

Ouch!!! Did they fix you up?