Saturday, March 6, 2010

When Cinnamon Rolls Aren't Welcome...

Our family is weird, even for here.  Case in point:

Recently we were invited over to a friend's house for a sleepover. "Bring your ice skates!" they said.
"We don't have any iceskates."  I admitted sadly.
"But we can bring our Supersoaker 3000."  
There it is, in the middle of winter, in the middle of the backyard. Actually, it's the end of winter, but it has sat right there through the season, handy for all those snowball/watergun fights everyone has.

In Canada, EVERYONE has ice skates. I suppose if we had grown up here, our garage would be littered with various pairs of out-grown ice skates that we could dig through until we found some that fit.  But we spent too much time in Los Angeles and ice skates just aren't in our blood.

Cinnamon rolls, on the other hand, are.  I made these from the Pioneer Woman's recipe that's big enough to make 7 pans full!  The idea is to share.  Hayley did it.  She passed them out to people in her apartment complex.  But when you live in Canada, you find out that's not such a good idea.  I learned my lesson when I tried to spread Christmas cheer. The first year we moved here I gave 4 of our neighbors plates of Christmas cookies. They all acted surprised, but not in a good way.  In a puzzled way.  I asked a friend, "Do people give cookies to their neighbors here?"
"No."
So if you come to visit, don't say "hi" to anyone you pass in the street, and DON'T share your cinnamon rolls.
One thing you will find is the nicest drivers. They let you ahead, they let you go first, they let you in. They are very polite in traffic, things only go awry when baked goods get involved.

Back to these. It would be nice to think I rose when it was still dark and had them on the table for breakfast. In reality, I made them in the afternoon and was so tired after it all that I hadn't the energy to make dinner. So we ate them instead. Cinnamon rolls for dinner!?  Did I really just admit to that?
To redeem myself I'll show you what we had for breakfast today...

Much better.
  Although...

I'm not sure what the significance is of the ambulance there on standby in the background.

1 comments:

Betsy said...

I just got my first cast iron skillet and I'm looking for ways to use it....guess they're good for Cinnamon Rolls! Yum!
It is so weird to me that Canadians are so outwardly unfriendly. It must be hard to get to know folks! But once anyone gets to know you they are sure to love you!