Thursday, April 10, 2008

Follow Gollum's Example

If you aren't family, you probably won't be interested in all these basketball pictures of Greyson. But you might like to know a little about him. Greyson is the kind of compassionate and merciful boy that offers to take his siblings punishment when they get into trouble. He is a dreamer and most of the time he looks like he's thinking deep thoughts (or sometimes no thoughts at all if it's during school hours). He is the man of the house and takes it upon himself to check every door at nighttime and report the status: "Dad, the doors are locked, the garage is down, are you done in the basement, do you want me to turn off the computer? Do you need the lights?" And while he often can't repeat back to you what you just told him about adverbs, he can recite word for word several passages from "Star Wars" or "National Treasure". That's our Greyson.
Chasing the ball.


Looking for an open man.


Running down the court.


It's MINE.


He's number 1.



Interception.


In the fray.


His shot?
It was the playoffs and the most exciting point-for-point game I'd ever seen! The game was won in the last 12 seconds by a basket from the 3 point range by the other team.


I wanted to celebrate anyway. Because Greyson had changed so much during the season. He had become more of an aggressive, competitive player. His coach from last year noticed the change and said, "Wow, he's a whole different kid, I can't believe it! What happened?" Along with a year's experience of team playing, here's what happened: I told him, go after the basketball like Gollum goes after 'his precious'. It worked.


Celebrating with fraps and donuts. This was a big deal because he has long desired and been long denied a frappuccino. (caffeine, it's a mom drink).

4 comments:

Trisha said...

That's a great post about Greyson!! It's something he can look at whenever live feels hard, and know he is growing and changing and LOVED!!

4HMom said...

I LOVE this post. I NEEDED to know Greyson better and you really helped me.

Still Enjoying the Journey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Still Enjoying the Journey said...

I love this post! (I know ... a little delayed in reading it! But it reminds me of Gino ... reciting movie lines and off in la-la land just after you have said or asked something of him! If I can say so myself ... Greyson will turn on FAB-ulous! Look at Gino! he he he!