Monday, April 21, 2008

Fiercely Independent

I just found out the good side to a kid that won't give up. Up 'til now it's been all about persevering in disobedience, "can I, can I, can I, can I....?"
or taking the initiative in dangerous things like rummaging through power tools to find the bike pump,
or climbing way up high to get "that thing",
or finding things to get into that cause so much more work for mom.

But if you take all these characteristics and apply them to bike riding, it makes for a pretty good mix.

Fall off? Get right back on.

Wobble dangerously? Just keep on going.

See a car coming? Race your bike to the side of the road.

Have your front tire bent our of shape? Just adjust your weight to side saddle.

Hit your head on the driveway? Shake it off, and remount.

There is a good side to pull-your-hair-out-persistence in a four year old. Here is Sawyer, being Sawyer:


First day on a real bike.


Looking for cars.


Stalling in the grass.


This is Tristan just before he ran into Sawyer head on.

2 comments:

Harrison said...

hahahahahahaha. sorry, sometimes your matter of fact comments make me crack up at my desk and i hope no one else at work notices me crying.

"This is Tristan before he rides head on into Sawyer".

looking forward to seeing you guys soon (i read your blog every day)

H said...

I agree with Bub -- it made me laugh really hard to read that statement about Tristan before he rode head on into Sawyer.