Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Winner...

Okay everyone, you've got a one in five chance of winning.
I've written your names down, I'm looking for the scissors, someone has taken them from the desk.... hold on.
Dishwasher.
Okay, I'm cutting up your names...and folding them. I'm going to use a bowl. My hats are all slouchy.
Mixing in the mixing bowl.....and drawing...
Cherie!
I
'm sure she'd be nice and share the recipe with you if you emailed her. I understand the angst of the perfect crunch and elusive chewiness being just beyond your grasp. Cherie is a kind person. It's unlikely she'd keep that to herself.

Addendum: You need to look at Bellamy's Flour Mill.
This is a stone mill from the 1860's that uses a silk sorter to grade their flour. I buy Superfine in 50 lb bags. Not because I am a baking fiend. Just because I was there. I came, I saw, I wheeled a wooden cart full of flour to my van.
Who knew that this flour was the reason the recipe worked so well?
I tried it with white store-bought flour and just about cried. The magic was gone.
But I'm workin' on it. I'll tweek it until it's perfect.

5 comments:

Cherie said...

ME!!! I WON???!!! But...I NEVER WIN ANYTHING!!! I'm thrilled!!!

I will be happy to share the recipe once I get it.

Cherie said...

I wonder if flour from Amish Country would work?

Missy said...

I bet! I think the key is "Superfine". They tumble the flour through a rotating silkscreen and only the finest particles are reserved for that grade. Do the Amish grade their flour? Do you live close to them? I am going to try to cut the store-bought flour measurement down and see what happens.

Cherie said...

We are about 30 miles from a very large Amish community. It's in Holmes County and boasts the largest Amish community in the country. (I always thought it was PA, but they say that's not true.)
Some of the small towns have become very commercial, but some towns adhere strictly to the Amish way of life. We do not agree with them thologically, but we do love their way of life.

Baltic is one of the very small towns that still has a mill and they sell "bulk" foods to the Amish.

Come visit and we will take you on a tour of Holmes County!

Missy said...

cool!