Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunk


See this stove? I hate this stove. Hate is a strong word to use. But this stove has waylaid many a grand plan. It's mean. My feelings are misdirected, I know, they should be directed towards the designer and not the stove itself. But I can tell you one thing, the designer was a brain, who never cooks.
Wanna see?
.

This is what it does.
How, you ask? How can a stove sink your cake, isn't that the fault of the baker?
NO.
Look at the buttons:
.

Press bake. Press 375. Good to go, right? No, no, you just think you've turned your stove on to preheat so by the time you've got your batter mixed you can pour it into the pan and have a delightful breakfast 20 minutes later. You just THINK that. But really, really, the stove turns off. While you are mixing the batter. And you don't notice. So you go about your merry plans and open the oven and find the stove COLD. Because it turned off. ANd now your whole morning schedule is in RUINS.
Sorry.
Let me just take a moment to compose myself.

okay.
This stove requires you to push ON--BAKE--350--START
And it's the START that always gets me.
So I thought I'd outsmart it and the first thing I did this morning was to push all the buttons so I couldn't possible forget. Before I'd even decided what was going in the oven.
But my fail-safe plan did not work. Because the stove "starts" at 350.
.

And this is a 375 cake.
And 375 cakes sink at 350.
Did you get all that?
Really, all you need to know, and this is to the designer man:
When we want to bake,
and we turn on the stove,
and we choose the temperature,
we really, really, don't need another step.
We're already committed.
And Mr. Designer man, if you don't want to risk it all on my little story, maybe you could get a clue from how ALL THE OTHER STOVES ON THE MARKET ARE MADE.

Let's end this on a cheery note. I should have just had Tristan's attitude in the first place. When he saw the cake all he said was:

"Oh well, it'll still taste good."
.

It did.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

After you hit BAKE, push the up TEMP arrow until it reads your desired temperature (or the down TEMP arrow), before you hit the START button.

Hope that helps!

I have a very similar stove and thought the timer was broken at first because it didn't count down by seconds. The repairman came and changed it out under warranty, but it was never broken in the first place!!!

Have a glorious LORD'S day!

Missy said...

Don't you think it's weird to turn your stove on, and then have to turn it, ON?

Cherie said...

We just eat out.