Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's My Fault

The air was pulsating with expectation, the kids were so excited to show their hard work at the Homeschool Expo.  And I was able to go just long enough to capture it all on film.  Eva said she'd take the kids home so I could leave as soon as I needed to.


As a mom, it was exciting for me to see them stand publicly as individuals.

 The rewards of all that planning and execution were finally here.
Pride and a sense of accomplishment were almost tangible. 

 There was a huge variety of displays,

Creativity galore,

And in the midst of all this, what was I thinking of?  What was standing out in my mind more than anything else?

See the gaping space there, just under "Coca-Cola"?
See that vortex, that vacuous expanse of immense proportions?
That was MY fault.
Greyson put his report "down low", heeding my warning that if it were too high it would be covered up by the title sign.  He was just following my instruction, and when we got there it was too late to change it.
This gaping hole is what haunted my soul in the whirl of otherwise enjoyable festivities.

It didn't bother him at all.

He was too busy doing taste tests of Coke vs. Pepsi.
Coke won, by the way. Something like 30 to 17.

What you see here is a master shot, with Todd!
And what I see is a gaping hole that was my fault.

This is more towards the middle of the gym,
and My Fault there on the left.


This is the opposite side.
My Fault is mercifully out of the picture but not out of my mind.

I also came away without a picture of Tristan's diorama.  It's hidden there, just in front of those spectators.
I'm sorry you can't see all the special touches he put into it to create The Environment of the Wolf.
But hey, enjoy this fur rimmed brown hooded jacket as a substitute.

These happy accidents so seldom occur, I should be thankful, I know.

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Missy, your posts are always entertaining, even when you feel crumberry!

Missy said...

that's a great word, Betsy. Did you invent it , or was it your verification?

Betsy said...

Crumberry is a Dennis Derrism! He's loaded with 'em!

cynthia said...

compared to you, i feel very voculpet (that was my verification word). i LOVE this post... i loved all four children's projects. i loved the expo! i loved your daughter's drawings. and i can TOTALLY relate to you and your "my fault". i'm glad the project was still a success (yay, coke!). our homeschool year seems to kind of be fizzling out, and i have nothing like your excuse. i think being involved in something like this would be very nice at this time of year. then there would be no temptation to fizzle out.

great job, all of you!

now i'm going to type "voculpet" one more time.

Missy said...

Cynthia, you are one of the funniest people I know.
Our homeschool always starts to fizzle out this time of year too. I think it['s the nature of the beast. Usually I'd be to intimidated to do an Expo, but the lady who does it is a close friend and makes it FUN and not so competitive.