Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Just in Time For Christmas...


Thought you all would be keen to know that the antibiotic I am on makes everything taste like sour pineapple pennies.
Christmas Turkey with sour pineapple pennies.
Grandma's Christmas cookies with sour pineapple pennies.
Coming Home Lasagna with sour pineapple pennies.
Triple Creek Eggnog with sour pineapple pennies.
Hot morning coffee with black forest cherry creamer and sour pineapple pennies.
I guess you can see where I'm going. There are certain gastronomical delicacies that I look forward to when we visit the states that you just can't duplicate here. I'm a little sad. But hey, I can breathe! And that's....that's...to be valued more than taste. Right? Right. Right. Is it more sad that I weighed those two options longer than a sane person should?

This isn't a health blog. (surprise!) but I've found out some work the UC schools are doing on vitamin D that everyone should know about. Most people have deficient levels of vitamin D which is scary because the new data shows that it protects you from a whole host of diseases.
Look at this chart. A 75% reduction in cancer? Virtually wiping out type 1 diabetes?
If you are wondering if you are deficient-- I was supplementing with 2000iu a day for a year or two, then upped it to 5000iu a day, and my test came back deficient!
Sunshine is the best way to get your D, but if you live in Canada, your body can't make it from the sun from Sep. to March.
And if you use sunscreen it blocks the rays you need for this, and if you use soap on your exposed skin, it washes away the sebum where the vitamin D is converted.
More than you need to know.
But I want to get the word out because so many people can get tested and stay healthy.
If you are concerned, I recommend joining D-Action and doing their $40 blood test they send in the mail. It's very simple and straightforward and accurate. You can get one through your doctor of course, but it gets more complicated because there are two kinds of tests and you have to get the right one or it will be inaccurate.
Hope this helps.
Gotta go.
It's time to make a sour pineapple penny supper.

0 comments: