Friday, June 5, 2009

What to Bring


As I sat eating my eggs, my eyes connected with the pepper shaker. We have a pepper grinder, the BEST (according to a leading Consumer magazine) but a fine pepper powder is what I like on eggs.
It's a Christmas pepper shaker. It does not belong in June. But once I found out what a great sprinkler it was, I just kept using it.
I know women who are gifted at decorating.
I know women who are gifted at entertaining with all the wares to match.
I know women whose homes are clean 90% of the time.
And I know one woman whose home is clean all the time. Really. Her name is Lana and she's really funny and loyal.
But I am the woman who uses a Christmas pepper shaker in June.
It's utilitarian vs. aesthetics.
I admire those other women. And somewhere, I secretly hope I'm going to get there.
So, when you finally reach those places is it okay to have a Christmas pepper shaker with you?
This is not a hypothetical question. I want to know.

3 comments:

Cherie said...

Yes, It's ok to use a Christmas pepper shaker in June. You won't have change it in December!
I'm tired of having a perfect house that looks nice all the time...who cares!?? Really??? I want to have a houseful of kids and laughter and fun again! And...in a couple of weeks I'm going to have that again. I can hardly wait!!!
You have a fun house! Your kids are wonderful and they have a great mother and dad. They are so fortunate.
I want to have a house like yours!

(oops...sorry...i'm not sure where this all came from)

Missy said...

Cherie, that's why I wrote this post, to get some sort of an answer and yours put everything into perspective. It's great to hear from experience! What a blessing to hear from someone who is ahead, I KNEW I was missing something and you set it all straight. Thank you! Thank you!
I am excited for your house full of new adventures. They are lucky to see life with you. Blessings all around!

Cherie said...

Thanks for being excited for us!
I told Rick last night that I felt like my stomach was full of bubbles. I don't know how else to describe it. I get so emotional when I think about what's happening...I'm so grateful for what we are gaining and so sad for Tracy who is losing two of the most wonderful gifts that anyone was ever given. They deserve to have a happy summer; a happy LIFE; I hope we can help them grow into the people God wants them to be. Your prayers are coveted.