Saturday, May 1, 2010

Guess What's Growing in the Backyard?

He had an inclination to plant seeds.  We were fresh out.  But then it hit me--we have wheat kernels. So we planted them and...wallah!
He's growing wheat grass.

Tristan got a haircut.
I wonder what's going on in that little noggin of his? Do we truly ever think of nothing? What did I think of when I was his age?
candy
candy
my turn
I get cherry
I get grape
not it
you're it
I'm telling
me first
no fair
just go
beat'cha

can I have one
wanna trade
look out
watch this
dibs
wait up
can I come
you're mean
can I play?
candy
It's got to be one of those.  Except that Tristan asks really deep questions out of the blue, so he could be thinking of something like he said last night, "Mom, how did God think of sounds? Like when you drop a glass and it goes chink, how did He think of that?"
Let's take another look......

 Neh, he's thinking of candy.

The downward bounce on the trampoline makes Greyson's face go down,

And Kiki's hair go up.

I'm playing with my camera. I like this lighting, but I think it's technically incorrect because there is not enough light on the face.  Is it a technique or a mistake?  Maybe this is why photographers carry a silver umbrella, to throw light on the face.  Dare I walk around with a silver umbrella?
Camera jockeys please inform.

7 comments:

Betsy said...

My mom and dad met at Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara. They are both quite good photographers. Me, not so much! But I remember my dad setting up shots when I was a kid. He had me hold a little mirror just so, so that the sunlight would reflect off of it onto a flower he was trying to capture. I sat there for what seemed like forever, until he was happy! He went to great lengths to get the perfect picture. So I don't think carrying around an umbrella is too out there! It just may get you the perfect shot!

Missy said...

Betsy, after I read your comment I googled umbrellas and found this:
http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/38603.aspx

And I followed the link on how to make your own. I think I would use gold instead of silver because I like the golden light of early evening. But I've only seen silver ones used in a studio. I wonder why? Does gold make your teeth yellow or something?

4HMom said...

love this post; love tristan's question. love the "his-age" thought list. LLLLLLL Wow, Kiki is really beautiful. Will Sawyer feed the wheatgrass to the cats or will you guys liquify it for boosts to your smoothies? Greyon is getting SOOOO tall.

herri - one of the names we will have to consider if we have another girl.

Missy said...

I never thought of using it in smoothies. Do you need a wheat-grass juicer? Feeding it to the cats is a good idea.
Greyson's height is deceptive, he looks a lot taller when Kiki is sitting down on the trampoline.

4HMom said...

I don't know how jamba juice liquifies their wheat grass but they make boosts out of it somehow, or is that other juice-place? It's the place where the wheat grass tray is right within sight and they harvest it fresh to get the boost.

cynthia said...

Jamba Juice uses the Opti-Fresh Wheatgrass Juicer.
http://www.bestjuicers.com/optifresh.html
I used to think they served it with a slice of orange just to combat the taste of the wheat grass (which I LOVE) but now I know it was a bit of citrus to help you absorb the iron in the wheatgrass juice.
I wish I had a wheatgrass juicer and some wheatgrass! ;) That would boost my low iron level, for sure!

Missy said...

Those are the machines I've seen at Wholefoods juice bar. Wow, at $1395 a unit, it's a good thing they offer free shipping, almost makes up for the high price. I have the Champion but I haven't used it in years. I'll probably find out you can't use it for wheat grass. And just chewing wheat grass would probably be gross? Yes, it would be gross. What about snipped on top of a salad? Not enough? No, not enough.