Friday, November 27, 2009

The Carrot Cake


This is a birthday morning at our house. I don't know how it started, but the tradition is to come out to the breakfast table while the whole family looks on.


Sawyer picked out candy Maynards to give to Greyson with a homemade card.


Part of the tradition is choosing their cake flavor. The trouble with choosing marshmallow fudge frosting, is that it goes on a hot cake.
Cakes fresh from the oven will melt a birthday candle instead of holding it nicely in place, leaving candle wax potholes behind.

Never mind how I know this.

There is a way to solve this dilemma.....


Buy birthday candles mounted on plastic toothpicks,
and push the picks into an edible item that can spear a cake and not look ridiculous.

I couldn't think of something that wouldn't look ridiculous so I settled for utilitarian. Utilitarian is my default. No, it's my lifestyle. It helps me survive as a mom.
Chocolate-Marbled-Hot Fudge-Marshmallow-Carroted-Cake Wallah!

Makes you wonder if some of our greatest discoveries yet to come might not be made by moms on utilitarian mode.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Necessity is the mother of invention!

I was never so creative as when I was broke!

Happy Birthday, Greyson!

H said...

lol...I just realized what was holding them up.