Thursday, January 22, 2009

Seeing Kids

This is a link to the "The Lost Teapot" post.
First, take heart.  Motherhood is hard, but God knows our frame and is mindful that we are but dust.  If you are not sure what following Christ means the first step is to click here.
For those who already are following Christ--
I hesitate to give you any steps to help fix how our kids can get lost in the busy-ness, because those very steps can just add to the routine.  But rotating these has helped me in the past. I don't do all of them all the time. And most of them came not from my brain, but wise women whom God knew I needed!

Pray before you put your feet on the floor in the morning-  "God, give me eyes to see".


Make a prayer notebook with pages for each child. Quality page- list qualities you'd like to see in them.  Strengths- list those they have.  Weaknesses- list those.  On another page list Urgent requests that will resolve themselves within a few weeks.  And on another page list Long-Term requests- those things that will take some time.  Use these pages on a daily basis to help you pray for your kids. You can't neglect someone you're praying for.

Sometimes a change in routine will freshen your eyes--when they get up in the morning say, "everyone get in the van, right now, in your jammies!" and then go through a drive-through for breakfast treats.

Give back scratches as they fall asleep at night and don't talk. Listen. You'll find a little window into their soul.

One thing that has never failed me, is the haunting echo of John 15:5--"apart from Me you can do nothing".  If I start my day with Him, and immerse myself in God's Word, He never fails to nudge my heart to see my children in little ways, all throughout the day. Snatches of the verses I have memorized are a powerful sword!

0 comments: