Tuesday, January 13, 2009

He Really Didn't Know...



I chalked this one up to laziness because it had to do with answering questions in school. Which is not a favorite thing to do for most 11 year old boys.
"Mom, I need help with this question." said Greyson
"Okay, read it out loud for me." I answered.
"Name two striking physical features of Ethiopia."
"What do you not understand?" I asked.
"I don't know." said Greyson.
'I don't know' is the standard lazy answer that a teacher does NOT want to hear.
"Okay," I said, a little irritated, "What do you think it means?"
"I don't know."
Again with the 'I don't know'!
"Okay," I said, gathering my patience. "What does 'striking' mean?"
"When people quit their jobs and make picket signs and say their job is unfair."
Oh. No wonder! I don't know what striking physical features Ethiopia has either, when you put it that way. Poor Greyson, I wouldn't even begin to know how to make sense of that question.

0 comments: