Saturday, December 13, 2008

What's Behind Door Number One?


It was a snappy 1 degree today, or 7 degrees, depending on which thermometer you read. With air that cold, 1 or 7 doesn't make much difference to me. Breathing in hard makes the lining of your nose crinkle like tissue paper. Daisy doesn't mind, she snuffs great snuff-fuls of snow which makes the merriest sound. Just being in the backyard with her is a festive activity.


Sawyer doesn't mind either. He asks if we can move the van into the driveway so the garage is empty. Then he can ride his new-ish bike (new to him, anyway).
There is a curious Canadian peculiarity about garages. You'd think living in 1 degree weather would necessitate a garage so you aren't scraping off the outside AND the inside of your windshield before every sojourn to the grocery store. But most people keep their cars outside in the driveway. We are an oddity keeping ours in it's own little house. I don't know what they keep in their garages... something more expedient than a frost-free car? I'm not sure I'm too keen on knowing what that would be.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oh my goodness, Mike and I still talk about that. WHY, WHY do Canadians not put their cars in their garages??? That is what they are meant for, it's the definition. It eludes me to this day!

H said...

I want to hear the merry snuffles!