Monday, November 3, 2008

No Picture Could Capture This....

God has given moms a highly tuned sense of hearing. You can tell when your child is fake crying, mad crying, and that crying that makes you leap to your feet because you know that something is terribly, horribly wrong.
You are not going to believe this. My van can mimic the something-is-terribly-horribly-wrong cry. The first time I heard it, my heart hit the dashboard and I twisted around to yell "What's wrong?!" only to remember that I was kidless that trip. That was my van making that noise, I thought creepily to myself. I gave a shudder and drove on.
This was not the end of it, however. About the time it takes you to forget that your van has the ability to imitate the last dying gasp of a human being begging the only one in earshot for help, is about how long my van waits to try the noise again.
It gets me every time. Shockwaves rush through my body because God has designed us to respond to the terribly-horribly-wrong sound with RUN, SOMEONE NEEDS YOU! It's not even a loud scream. It's more of a faint, very human, cry.
Francois knows. He's the valet that parked my van once. See him driving up? See him hopping out and chucking the keys into my outstretched hand? See him break the anonymous wall, look into my face with a nervous laugh and say, "Scary noise!". Francois and I were connected in that moment of time. We both knew what it meant to have the super hero save me mode thrust upon you, when no one needed help.
A few other people have heard The Noise too. It usually goes something like this-
"What's that sound!?"
"It's my van."
"No. Really. What's that sound?"
So I have an open invitation for all you thrill seeking sky divers and bungee jumpers. You gotta hear it! It's an adrenaline rush you'll never forget.

2 comments:

4HMom said...

Shudder.

Hey, this ranks up with one of your best posts ever.

bedinam is a state of disorder, chaos.

Harrison said...

no way! i love that you and francios now have a bond. i wonder if he'll be your valet at that location from now on, or if he'll stay away.