Thursday, October 23, 2008

Touring the Neighborhood....


This is the view from our front porch. Besides the fact that our hedges need trimming, do you notice anything else? Yes. That is Tristan and Sawyer. They are taking a tour of the neighborhood. I found this out when I sent them to play in the yard, and then noticed it was awfully quiet a while later.
"Greyson, go and see what Tristan and Sawyer are doing. Take the camera."
I don't know why I said take the camera. Partly to make it an adventure for Greyson. Partly to catch them doing some kid thing that only Greyson could discover without suspicion.
And now I have documentation. When I tell Sawyer and Tristan to play in the yard, what that really means is "Hey, kids, walk about the neighborhood. Stand at the head of people's driveways and stare at their Halloween decorations. Be conspicuous."
This may seem normal for the states. But people here try to avoid eye contact, let alone stare at their neighbors' homes. The only consolation is that they probably expect it from us by now.
"There's those weird kids again."
"What are they doing now?"
"I don't know, they're just standing out there. Staring."
"Whatever you do, don't look at their eyes."

1 comments:

Angela said...

So true! When we first moved here, I used to turn and wave every time someone honked at me. Because...Why else would you honk at someone unless you know them and are just saying hello! I got a lot of strange looks!